I have been interested in fragrance and perfumery for as long as I can remember and found my niche in the early 90′s when I ended up working for International Flavours & Fragrances (IFF) totally by accident.
I trained my nose and learned lots about commercial perfumery whilst working as a fragrance evaluator for several years. Whilst at IFF I ran fragrance training days for our clients who were buyers for some of the biggest personal care brands in the world.
As well as studying perfumery I trained in aromatherapy and decided to join the product development team at Neal’s Yard Remedies in order to increase my knowledge of natural materials. During my time at NYR I helped to create many of their award winning products and ran training courses for members of the public and developed a training programme for their retail staff.
I have a brand new date for my one day beginners perfumery workshop in London.
An Introduction to Perfumery
Date: 15th October 2011
Venue: Imperial College South Kensington
This workshop in natural perfumery will give you the opportunity to gain a basic understanding of the history of perfumery and then work with a variety of materials to design your own natural fragrances.
You will have plenty of hands on experience in blending and creating your own accords and finished fragrances.
All materials and equipment are provided and no previous experience is necessary. All you need is imagination and a love of perfumery.
- The History of Perfume
- Where Do Fragrance Ingredients Come From and How Are They Made
- The Sense of Smell and What it Means To Us
- The Beginners Guide to Training your Nose
- Top, Middle and Base notes and Why They Are Important
- Practical Blending Techniques
By the end of this 1 day course you will:
- Have an understanding of the historical significance of fragrance
- Have learned about the different natural ingredients used in perfumery
- Easily be able to classify natural aromatic ingredients into the different fragrance families
- Have practised blending top middle and base notes to create simple fragrances
I am also running perfumery classes at Neal’s Yard Remedies in Covent Garden a few times a year, so please check their courses page for booking.
Current Perfumery Classes
I run perfumery classes in London and around the UK, please check THE FRAGRANT ALCHEMIST blog for my current perfumery training schedule.